Monday

Solitude

Kokoschka portrait d'une Jeune Fille 1913


“It was harrowing when wonder let go of a man and he despaired of himself, but just as harrowing it is that one can know of this, can know far more, and not have had this experience, and most harrowing that one may know everything and not have made a start with the least thing. And if it is so, ah, let me begin over again; return, thy youth, with thy wish and thy lovable wonder, thou wild striving of youth with thy recklessness and thy shudder before the unknown, seize me, thou despair which breaks with the wonderful and with the wonder of youth, but quickly, quickly if it be possible, if I have wasted my best years without experiencing anything, teach me at least not to become indifferent, not to seek consolation with others, so terror at last may be the beginning of my healing; however late it may be, this at all events is better than to live as a liar, deceived not by what might seem calculated to deceive, and therefore, alas, horribly deceived – deceived by much knowledge.”


Soren Kierkegaard - Stages on Life's Way